Wednesday, November 12, 2008

--- Practicing ---

"My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me".
John 10:27

God is stirring...shaking...shifting............adjusting things in my heart, and what I am realizing is, I have really wanted this for a long time...but didn't fully know I was waiting for or wanting it like this. Does that make sense?

I think I've been a little distracted. Not bad distracted. But distracted none-the-less. A colleague and good friend gave me her book, Practicing His Presence. Wow, it is an awesome book. I love how God is so incredibly in-tune with what we need and when we need it. The book has been around for a long time and is written by Brother Lawrence who lived in the 1600's and Frank Laubach who was born in the late 1800's. Here's one of Frank Laubach's journal entries:


***
January 29th, 1930

I feel simply carried along each hour, doing my part in a plan which is far beyond myself. This sense of cooperation with God in little things is what so astonishes me, for I never have felt it this way before. I need something, and turn round to find it waiting for me. I must work, to be sure, but there is God working along with me. God takes care of all the rest. My part is to live this hour in continuous inner conversation with God and in perfect responsiveness to his will, to make this hour gloriously rich. This seems to be all I need think about.


***
I think I am going to determine to start practicing His presence a whole lot more than I have done in the past. When I turn, I want to find what I need for that moment, like Laubach.
Really, isn't practicing what God instructed in the Torah when He told the children of Israel to talk about the Lord when you are in your homes, when you walk along the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up?


I guess I'll start practicing His presence more...
This seems to be all I need think about.

No comments: