Monday, November 17, 2008

Today

Today marked a special day for me as Executive Director of the Dallas retirement community where I work...my place of employment for only 2 more days.

After Thanksgiving lunch with the Leadership Team, I was called to the front of the room to sit in a chair. Two leaders (and wonderful friends) led the concluding 15 minutes of our meeting. During this time, they presented to me individual bags, each containing an element related to a scripture that was written on the bag.

Each scripture was especially meaningful. As I listened to the Word of God being read aloud freely, I was so thankful and humbled at how good God is. His Word is alive! And with it, He reminds us that He always loves. He always redeems. He always sets us free with truth. Always.

Following the presentation of the bags, I was given one final gift. It was a beautiful, matted glass framed picture. Behind the glass, a photo of Rachel, Meg, Ava, Josef, and me was perfectly centered. Two awesome scriptures were placed...one above the photo, and one below.

Around the photo, in every empty place of the matting, were words that people wrote about what they thought about me. My eyes filled with tears as I sat in this chair in front of all of these people...all unique, all on their own journey...all in different places in their lives with God. All people who Jesus died for.

The time concluded with both leaders, placing their hands on my shoulders, and praying for me...publicly...right there...in front of everyone. I felt as though God's hands were touching my shoulders and the voice of the Father was saying, "Well done. Youv'e been faithful. Just wait for what is next. See, I love you. I really do."

What else can I say about this special day? I think it's just to remember that He never, ever leaves us. He refines us. He longs for more people to know Him and His Son. He came to set the captives free. He has set me free!

"He brought me to His banqueting table............and His banner over me is love".
Song of Songs 2:4

1 comment:

Carolyn Figlioli said...

This so stirred my heart and makes me look forward to the day I am to say goodbye to people I have worked with for 13 years, yet a little sad because they are like family. We spend more time with our coworkers almost and so they are very important to us and how blessed you are to have these who love you so much.